Reading Proverbs 20 today (as it's the 20th day of the month...a Proverb for each day keeps your inner fool away??) and came across a verse that had a new meaning for me that I thought I'd share.
Proverbs 20:4
A sluggard does not plow in season; so at harvest time he looks but finds nothing.
I always figured that God was saying...don't be lazy and you won't be poor! You have to work for a living! Money doesn't grow on trees! (Or something to that effect...)
Today, however, it struck me that while the above may be true, that this verse speaks so well to our knowledge and protection found in God's Word. If we do not spend time studying, memorizing and meditating on His words for us when we are able ("in season"), planting His truth and peace in our hearts, then when we need it, it won't be there to draw from.
This struck me especially lately as I have been thinking about being a parent that can love, care, discipline, encourage and teach my son in the way of the Lord. I will have nothing to draw upon to teach him from if I don't spend time in the Bible myself, and at "harvest time" when Finn is older and becoming a boy and then a teen and then a man, I will look at his life, "but find nothing." What a heartbreak that would be. My children ARE my fruit, and while they have their own will, I must not be a sluggard, but I must invest my time and effort in growing them to be "good fruit"...like using fertilizer! Ha!
Anyhow, if you are interested in memorizing scripture yourself so that God and use it in your life...don't wait! Even one verse a month can help and anyone can do that! I recently found out about a book for helping kids (even preschool age) memorize God's Word, called "ABC Memory Book" and it's available at http://scripturememoryfellowship.org/preschool.htm
They also have stuff for adults and all other ages!
I have definitely been a slacker (or a sluggard) when it comes to memorizing, studying and living in God's Word daily, but when I do put in the effort and time, what a difference I notice! God will reward your efforts, even if they start out small, if they are in a desire to know Him. I mean really, what will help you through your day more...that rerun of Friends or the local news, or that time spent in the Word?
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment